Monday, August 8, 2011

Special Little Dude

When I was struggling through my early thirties I gave a lot of thought to what I wanted out of life, how to spend my time and what was important.

This is where my devotion to my dogs was born. I'd always loved animals, but I made a conscious decision to make them a big part of my life. I became involved in dog rescue and met other wonderful like-minded people. It was nice to learn that I was not the only crazy dog lady.

Brent and I found our Gizmo. It took a few weeks to organize the adoption and it was an exciting day when Taz and I made the pilgrimage to Ohio to rescue our Little Dude.

I knew the instant I saw him that he was my baby boy. Gizmo was sick and fearful when he first came to the farm, but his spirit was strong. 

I spent months nursing him back to health and then years loving him and helping him come out of his shell to become a glowing, amazing star who learned to shine brightly.

Gizmo loved everyone. He embraced life whole heartedly and would delight in even the smallest bit of cookie. Gizmo and I kitchen danced everyday to whatever song was on the radio that constantly plays in our house.

Each morning I would wake him with belly tickles and he would give me a nose lick in return. When I'd try to stand him up he would slump back over collapsing into bed, but his wagging tail would always give him away. He refused to stand on his big boy legs. Giggling I'd pick him up and cuddle him while his tail wagged like mad and he made his old man noises. We'd walk downstairs smiling together and I'd make a special trip outside, so he could do his business. Gizmo never did figure out the dog door.

Once back in the house he'd dance and spin until he got a cookie which he'd take into the living room and eat on the white carpet. He'd run back into the kitchen and wiggle around my legs until I gave him breakfast.

Whether I was working or not this is how I started everyday. Every moment brightened by Gizmo. Ever step a little lighter, every chore a little easier and a smile to go with it all.

Gizmo loved to play with me. He liked to chase my hands and I'd try and grab his paw. He'd get so excited that he couldn't contain himself and would run like mad around the house. I'd run too and we'd do laps around the island and into the living room until we'd collapse on the floor where he'd wiggle over to lick my ear.

Gizmo gave the best ear licks.

Gizmo loved laundry. Clean or dirty. He would help me make the bed by grabbing the sheet and pulling. He'd delight in getting stuck under the fitted sheet and wiggle until I'd find him and set him free. He'd dance with joy and try to steal my pillows as I put on the pillow cases.

Taking off clothing was an even bigger event. He loved to steal my uniform shirts, socks and bra. I'd find clothing stashed under the coffee table in the living room. There's still an old sports bra under my coffee table because I don't have the heart to pick it up.

Gizmo was a part of my daily life. He brought light, joy and love to me everyday and this is why his loss  overflows my heart with grief. I wish for so many things right now. I wish for Gizmo to be back. I wish I'd left him in the stroller. I'd wished we'd built the fence like we'd talked about so many times.

I am broken. Torn apart. Alone and lost. I don't know how to get through this horrible event. This thing. This death.

I miss my Gizmos.


No comments: