Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Gizmo walking the Bridge

The sky looks like heaven tonight. Blue sky with pink and gold edging on the fluffy white clouds. I imagine Gizmo and I are both under that sky tonight. It's a summer night in August and we've got a fire going in the backyard and I can't help but think of my Gizmo. I have the wagon with a pillow out for Taz, but I think Gizmo would really love it too.

I'd like to say my heart breaks, but it's already broken and I realize now I can't fix it's deep fracture, but I know it will heal with time. I feel sore and tired like I've run a marathon, but I've only gotten out of bed. I crawl from my dark room and drink tea and check my email. Another day goes by and another day I move farther away from the memory of my little chocolate love.

I wander my farm and look after the other critters who still need my care. I mow the grass and get the mail and see the spot where my Gizmo died and I don't want to live here anymore. It feels like it was never real. It feels like the farm was an illusion. Life can never be that good.

It's like losing myself. It's like nothing can really be that good... and last. I wasn't prepared for the shoe to drop. I wasn't ready to lose a piece of my family. I am distraught.

With Gayle's words swirling in my head I walk out and sit crying at Gizmo's grave when I suddenly see him clearly in my mind. He's walking across a long beautiful bridge and he stops and turns his head to look at me. He wags his tail and jumps a little and I think, I've got to let you go Gizmo.

I cried a little harder and I said good-bye to my little dude and watched him trot happily along the bridge. I couldn't see where he was going, but he wasn't afraid to go there and I finally found some comfort. Gayle is right, my Gizmo is still surrounded by love.

Knowing I need to let him go and letting him go are two different processes, but I'm glad that I finally know what I need to do. I'm glad I can work towards something.

I still cry everyday and probably will for a very long time, but I can picture him doing is cheeky backwards glance and almost hear him giggle his puppy giggle.

Nothing, but time will ease the grief. Nothing but love will heal this ache.

I still can't believe it happened. I miss my Gizmo every moment of everyday. His dance, his wiggle, his giggle and his love. I was so blessed.

I remember making the video of Gizmo on his last day and the final shot is of Taz and Gizmo and on the tape I say "oh... my twins". I miss having my twins. I miss having the pair that loved and played. I miss my Gizmo.

No comments: