Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Gizmo and the CCRT

Years ago we noticed that Gizmo had a passion for chihuahuas. Every time we ran into one of the little chi's he'd get so excited. They were smaller than him and highly energetic. I remember a time in Key West at an off leash dog park that Gizmo fell instantly in love with a long haired female who admired him as well. It got me thinking.

Three dogs was our limit, but I'd always wanted to see if a chi would fully bring Gizmo out of his shell, so Brent and I agreed to join the Canadian Chihuahua Rescue and Tranport (CCRT). We put our application to be a foster home back in early June 2011.

The process is long and time consuming, but we were finally successful on Saturday, August 6, 2011 a mere four days following Gizmo's death. On Sunday, August 7, 2011 we got a call that the CCRT was in dire need of foster homes and could we foster a little guy.

I was in tears when I spoke to the coordinator on Sunday night and told her what happened to our Gizmo. I hinted that we might not be a trustworthy foster home. She didn't hesitate. We were just fine.

She called back on Monday afternoon and asked if we could pick up our new foster on Tuesday afternoon. Exactly one week since we lost our Gizmo. I cried. I wondered. I couldn't say no.

I pick up Vincent around 1 pm on August 8, 2011 from the Oakville Humane Society. Vincent was named after the artist Van Gogh because they are both missing an ear. Vincent came from a hoarding situation where his one ear was bitten completely off and the other ear was mangled.

When I first saw Vincent I thought, Gizmo would love him. He was so shy he made Gizmo look like a social butterfly. He was so timid Poco looked like a socialite. Taz hated him instantly, but will play with him if necessary.

Vincent is sleeping on my lap as I write this and he's warm. Taz is curled beside my leg and Poco is at my feet. These moments make me miss my Gizmos so much it hurts. I've never had a dog that could cuddle like a Gizmo - across my chest, head on my shoulder and nose in my ear.  I miss him so much there is a hole inside me.

I miss my Gizmo, but he would have loved Vincent and Gizmo has started us on another rescue adventure with a new group. Vincent says thanks Gizmo. Thanks. One little dog can make a difference.

Vincent's First Day at the Farm 

Vincent Convinces Taz to Play


No comments: