Sunday, July 11, 2010

Engagement Celebration

We worked for months on getting the farm ready for our party when in reality we were using the party as an excuse, or rather a motivator, to do the things we've been meaning to do. Nothing gets you moving on a project like a dead line.

The day finally came and we were so excited to share our celebration and begin the next phase: wedding planning.

I woke up early and Brent and I decided to both run to the beach to pick up the ice cooler (I think it's an old hot tub that keeps tons of ice fresh) and our 31' travel trailer. We left my dad patching the roof and Billy decorating.

Other friends trickled in to help set up. A special thanks to Jane, Jill, Lisa, Billy, Brent and my Dad. I don't know that we would have pulled this off with as much dignity without the daily assistance from my Dad. What a guy. I just finished watching a movie "The Book of Eli" and the female lead asks Eli (who has been reading the bible for thirty years) what he's learned: "do for others more than you do for yourself". I learned this same lesson time and time again from my father. Pride.

The party starts at 3pm and at 2:30 I rush into the shower and hope to not be naked by the time my guests start to arrive. Thankfully, most of my friends are late.

It was magic. Amazing. One of the best days of my life. Thank you to all those who attended and all those who had intentions of attending. There were so many moments I stopped and look around to see the kids playing in the pool, with the bunnies and petting a pig that I was filled with a wonderful sense of pride. I watched two young lovers swing in the hammock and knew we'd made a good place.

The food was fantastic and the drink flowed well into the morning. I remember talking to so many people and not enough at the same time. I remember sitting on my kitchen floor at 3am with my best girlfriend Karen begging Brent to make me a cheesy sausage and then going to bed before he had it cooked.

The homemade cake my friend Kathleen brought complete with bride, groom and three puppies filled me with joy. Special thanks to Lisa and Brenda for working the bar in style.

The whole experience was one of the best of my life. I couldn't have done it without my love, and best of all he couldn't have done it without me.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter... our wedding... coming September 18th around 4ish...

1 comment:

Patsy said...

sooo sweet :)
so happy you're happy :)