Friday, July 16, 2010

Mr & Mrs D. Smith

Things have been a bit hectic these past few weeks and I'd like to bring you up to date with our newest arrivals: Mr. & Mrs. Smith a pair of muscovy ducks born the weekend of May twenty-fourth. They are, in a word, delightful.

Muscovy ducks from South America are natural fly catchers and the only non-mallard relations in our area.

The baby ducks came to us one at time, but never have we seen a truer love affair blossom. Mrs. Smith came first and was a little shy. Chicken Nugget was not exactly welcoming, but the other farm animals were not threatened by her fuzzy body. Fearful she would be mistaken as a snack we kept her in the bunny hutch for safety.

By Sunday afternoon Mr. Smith arrived and Mrs. Smith immediatley cuddled tightly to her mate. I was enchanted. They were very friendly and affectionate with each other and with people. They like to eat out of your hand and will follow you around in hopes of more snacks.

We started the pair living with the chicken, pigs, goats and bunnies; but something didn't seem quite right. We had this great pond and I felt that's where they belonged.

I was concerned because there are times the dogs have access to this area. Brent was concerned they'd make a mess of the pond, eat the fish and poop everywhere.

Once the proper introductions were made it seems the dogs and ducks got along fine. Now that the ducks are twice the size of the dogs it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Mr. Smith is very protective of his mate and will give Poco a necessary snap now and then - this works.

We don't notice too much poop around the pond and they haven't taken to eating the fish yet. Poco is the only one who seems interested in the ducks and their poop. The very first day the ducks came to live in the pond Poco found a small pile of poop and rolled around in it until his back was liberally coated in a slimy stench. Thankfully he fits in the utility tub.

Initially the ducks were not keen on their new environment. They stayed by the fence line waiting and staring at their previous home. We lured them closer to the pond with duck chow, but they would not venture into the water. Did I have ducks that hated water?? How could this be?

Brent and I gently put Mr. Smith into the water and he immediately scrambled back out as we exchanged puzzled grins. We fed them close to the water and they started to lean in closer to take a drink while eating. Good. Good. We left them munching and jumped into the pool swimming over frequently to look at the pair who had now settled on the bank of the pond for a nap.

An hour later Brent was working on the tractor and I wandered over to check on the Smiths. They got up and excited greeted me with little squeeks and happy tail wags. They still had fuzz. I carefully placed Mr. Smith in the pond and he floated for a moment before giving me a sideway look. I quickly put Mrs. Smith in beside him and with a few quacks they swam out a little.

The couple swam out and back a few times before they realized how much fun the water was and how many bugs were on the surface. It took only a few minutes of swimming before Mrs. Smith dove under. I clapped and yelled for Brent to come and see the Smiths maiden voyage.

We stood together as the sun set with camera in one hand and glass of wine in the other and watched our ducks discover the joys of swimming. They dove and came up covered in green slime, which they quickly decided to eat.

The pond has never been cleaner, nor the ducks happier. There is some poop and the dogs will give a little chase now and then, but the Smiths retreat to the safety of the pond.

Each morning I find the Smiths waiting for me at the fence line for their food and they race waddle over to the Pool House for their breakfast. The dogs usually follow me and watch as the ducks eat, drink and then settle in for their  morning nap.

This morning I found the Smiths napping under my patio table by the back door on the flagstone patio. There's duck poop in the back room and signs of duck-like investigations. I guess I was too slow with breakfast this morning and they came looking for me. I hope they don't learn how to work the dog door. I wouldn't mind them in the house except for the constant pooping really intimidates me.

"I love that quiet time when nobody's up and the animals are all happy to see me."  Olivia Newton-John

No comments: