Thursday, July 22, 2010

Morning Rituals

Working four twelve hour shifts in a row can be exhausting. My shifts are always six to six. Whether it's six in the morning or six at night. I usually get up at four thirty for a day shift so I have time to get myself ready and spend a few special moments with the dogs.

I am usually dragging myself out of bed, because that's what you do at four thirty in the morning, and Taz stumbles downstairs with me practically falling into her heated dog bed in the window seat while I shower. The boys do not even open their eyes as I give them both belly rubs on the way to the bathroom.

Once dressed the dogs know it's breakfast time and Gizmo comes flying down the stairs to launch himself on my leg as I'm piling food into stainless steel bowls. Poco is a little more dignified and ambles down the stairs, doing the yoga move "downward dog" better than I'll ever manage to start his day.

Taz watches lazily from her bed and I call her repeatedly to come eat only to have her fall back asleep. I warm up the food and set it next to her bed. Who doesn't love a warm breakfast in bed?

After breakfast we all go for a walk to check on the pond and pool pumps, the ducks and bunnies. Everyone is still sleepy, except the dogs who are having a great stroll in the pre-dawn light.

Back into the house for a cookie and to give Brent a kiss good-bye. The dogs race me up the stairs to the bedroom and I try to stop them from launching themselves onto Brent's sleeping body. Taz always goes for the face, Gizmo the ears and Poco curls up at his feet. Poor Brent. He walks with a start and tries to yell, but has learned not to open his mouth or it will be filled with puppy kisses. He buries his head under the sheet to protect himself from the onslaught of the puppy alarm clock. The snooze button is easy - rub a belly.

I'd love to rescue Brent, but I'm too busy laughing.

I walk out the door to Taz's ire she explodes into a series of barks that would have me evicted if I'd lived anywhere, but in the country. Thankfully my new neighbour has two large black shepards that he leaves out all night and their barks are much louder than my eight pound princess. My only two neighbours spend more time complaining about his dogs than any of my farm animals, and the shepards have never helped themselves to her garden!

We have a dog door built into the main back door and the door off the back porch, so the dogs can go outside anytime. I work twelve hour shifts and I needed to ensure the dogs needs were taken care of, plus I didn't want them going potty in the house. They're outdoor experiences are limited to the very secure immediate backyard and are only allowed access to the pond area when we're home. It's a special treat to run around the pond and get up close and personal with the bunny pen.

It is with a heavy heart that I take one last look at that tiny face with the big eyes staring out from behind the glass door as I pull out of the driveway for work. Everyday that face makes me wish I didn't have to leave her behind. The love that radiates and the sadness nearly shatters my heart, but I am rebuilt as upon my return the world is right again as I'm greeted by insane barking, flying puppies, gifts of doggie toys and the ever present puppy kisses.

Life is good when you're surrounded by a cloud of puppies.

No comments: