Friday, August 27, 2010

Wedding Thoughts

The time is drawing near to the wedding and we're just starting to kick it into high gear. Up until now we both thought it would come together by magic. Most people complain that there are too many people with input, but we seem to be fairly input free.

We have lots of help and I can't thank those enough who've built picnic tables and helped us do some cleaning. Don't forget about us on the 18th when Brent will be in charge of all the set up while I'm getting my hair done. I'm starting to like the pageantry and rituals.


Technically I'm Catholic, but I'm not practicing. Brent's family is Lutheran and devote. I'm not great with organized religion, but I'm getting better. I'm opening my mind to the importance of the ceremony. It's a blessing and rite of passage. 


I was watching the movie Angels and Demons and it reminds me of going to church as a child seeing grown men dress up in long gowns, lighting incense, candles and chanting. I thought it was odd and made me feel uncomfortable and a little embarrassed.

For many years I studied some less common religious ideas - Wicca was a favorite, but I was often uncomfortable with the costume, candles and ritual until I was watching this movie and realized it was the same stuff.

Millions of people go to church and are comforted by the pageantry of the ceremony. Sunday church in our Sunday best with brunch and tea afterwards. A gathering of the community to worship a deity. I believe in community, family, higher beings and the power of the earth. Why fight it?


This is why I've decided to embrace the ritual. We will be getting married by a pastor and there will be readings that we're choosing. There will be an element of God at our wedding and I'm a little relieved.

The clothing, bling, puppies, wedding party, readings, speeches, friends, God and family are all part of the ceremony. We're a pretty important part of the process too.

The wedding is the foundation for the marriage. It lets you find out if you can cope with stress together, if you can work together, if you have similar ideas. It's an eye opener and I must tell you that Brent is incredibly patient and often a saint.

Even if you don't believe in God, my dad always said you have to believe in something. There must be some higher power out there that we can be thankful. We cannot be alone.

On September 18th in front of God, the higher power, family, puppies and friends I'm looking forward to the ritual and ceremony of getting married. I'm a little nervous, but I have no doubt in my choice of husband, ceremony or venue. Actually, I'm incredibly lucky to have the venue (thanks ellen and brian).

Now, to find a band... it's only a few weeks away - it's about time.

No comments: