Sunday, June 6, 2010

Taking the Backhoe for a Walk

At 6pm last night while sitting on the back patio Brent and I were looking at the fence line and decided we were against it's very existance, so at 6:30pm we started pulling it out.

We used the backhoe and a heavy eight foot chain to pull the posts and drag the old fencing away. There was a point where I was walking ahead of the backhoe holding the eight foot chain that was still hooked on the bucket of the machine and I giggled quietly to myself thinking I was walking the backhoe.

Our soft lunch break was to build a seventy square foot patio beside the pond. We had some left over stone and some left over patio stone and we figured why not? Let's build us a third patio. After enjoying the "newest" patio for at least fifteen minutes we were staring at the outbuilding that we're planning on facing tomorrow and decided we didn't like the addition.

About ten minutes after that decision we were pulling apart the attachment with the help of the backhoe. Part way through the project my dad showed up and we were both relieved to sit and enjoy an alcoholic beverage.

Sadly dad only stayed an hour and we were back at demolition. I was distracted by a wooden deck that is about seven feet long by two feet wide and I thought: Wouldn't that look awesome if we suspended in the pond as a dock? I grabbed two steel posts and waved Brent over.

I described my insane idea and instantly Brent was far more excited about our dock. We dropped the two pieces of pipe into the pond and gently placed the new dock on top of the pipe. Hmm... it was a little high in the pond side. I wonder if we pushed gently down with the hoe on the dock if it would sink slightly?

We gave it a shot and there was a loud cracking noise right before the last two boards on the dock exploded under the weight of the hoe.

Okay. Back to demolition.

We did another hour of demo before we were even close to being done. The dock was taunting me. I found a few pieces of hard wood and dragged out the saw, nail gun and fired up the compressor. I was determined to fix this damn dock!

Four boards, several nails and the backhoe in place before we were ready to move the dock. Between human and machine we muscled the dock into place and I gingerly took the first step. It felt pretty firm, but I'd be careful spending too much time until it's settled.

I spent a solid ten minutes sitting my orange chair on the dock enjoying the new view without the ugly pig shed in the way. I only got ten minutes because Brent decided he really wanted to get a pool.

No. It never really ends.

No comments: