Thursday, April 22, 2010

Digging for Bunnies

I have three bunny rabbits and although they've grown up together, as adults and due to gender, they no longer get along. After a good fight I've moved Softy (black male) to the doll house beside the dog pen. Poor Softy has some fur missing from his right hind leg and is a little off balance when he hops.

Since being moved to the doll house Softy has become very comfortable with a big supply of food, fresh water and a soft clean bed of straw. He likes to nap outside under a pile of brances and eats all the dandelion heads that have the misfortune to grow in the doll house pen. The only draw back Softy has is that the fence line is shared with the big pond dog pen.

This dog pen is not open to the dogs all the time. It's only open when it's dry and sunny outside. I only allow the dogs to play in the pond pen when I'm home as well. I don't feel comfortable leaving the dogs with a large open pond if I'm not checking on them like an obsessive mother every fifteen minutes.

This afternoon it is beautiful outside, so I opened the gate and Taz bolts to check the outbuildings and then to check on Softy. She was outside for a long time and when I went to find her I was shocked.

My little Princess was trying to dig her way through the clay under the doll house to get at Softy. Her hair was matted with clay. Between the pads of her paws, on her head, right shoulder and right side was matted with heavy beads of thick brown clay. It was four o'clock and I needed to get ready for work, but as Taz walked across the kitchen floor chunks of mud fell off big enough to entice Gizmo to try a few pieces as snacks.

I had to soak her for ten minutes just to get he clay to start to melt. I used enough shampoo to wash all the farm animals before she turned from light brown clay back to her lovely blond locks.

I started blow drying and she planted her front paws on my chest and gave my nose a sweet and gentle lick. I laughed, finished drying and ran for the shower.

No comments: