Friday, April 16, 2010

The Day After & Daily Life

It's been just over twenty-four hours since Gizmo's surgery and he's finally starting to rest. The night was filled with comforting an unhappy puppy. Between his sore and swollen eyes and several bouts of diarrhea little dude was up most of the night.

Gizmo usually likes to spend about twenty hours a day sleeping, so it's a shock to see him up and moving so much. I'm having a hard time with the cone too. He won't move once you put it on. He stands like a statue and won't move. I left it on him while we ate dinner and he didn't move an inch the entire time. How can I leave him like that? He can't eat or drink with it on either and then he started to cry. A pitiful baby-like whine.

I'm hoping tomorrow he'll be feeling a little better.

The good news: when I walked into the barn this morning I was greeted by two pigs, two goats, a chicken and two bunnies all cuddled together in the stall. This may have been the first night the two pigs have been together in the stall. Ginger had been sleeping in an ex-large dog crate that was her home in the 'burbs. She still naps in the crate as I think she finds comfort, but I'm thinking she'll cuddle in the barn with the rest of the crew for warmth.

The rain has kept everyone inside. Especially Nelly-Kelly. For a goat that lived in an open field for seven years, she certainly wants nothing to do with rain anymore. The one surprise is Nugget. That chicken loves to be outdoors. As long as the sun is up she'll be outside wandering around, scratching and pecking. Once the sun sets the chicken will not come out again until sunrise. Must be a chicken thing.

Checked on the crew and I was surprised to find Ginger in her crate and everyone else in the stall. I must admit the crate is pretty cozy full of fresh straw and wrapped in a tarp.

No comments: