Thursday, June 9, 2011

First Beach Day 2011

May 31, 2011

This is the first day this year we've managed to get up to the beach. It's been an extra long winter and the spring of 2011 has been incredibly wet. I walked across my front lawn today and my feet were soaking from pools and pools of standing water. 

It was scorching hot at the farm as we left around noon to hit Long Beach in Wainfleet where Brent and his family have cottages. We're lucky enough to land in a cottage for as many nights as we can until it's rented the end of June. The end of June is coming quickly.

We meandered out to the beach and then wandered down the lake to visit with friends: Chuck & Jill. We wandered back and sat on the back deck with Brent's parents and talked for the first time in ages. We'd planned a quick pre-dinner kayak, but spent our time visiting instead. With a glass of wine in one hand and delicate piece of savory cheese in the other I enjoyed our pre-dinner cocktails. 

My dad showed up around 6 pm and we all had dinner together with the sound of waves lapping the shore as our dinner music. There was much discussion about not over cooking pork tenderloin and Brian did a marvelous job with the BBQ that evening. After a few bottles of wine and some good family time we headed to our cottage to rest in bed with the waves outside our window. 

Poco had me up at 3am to go out and as I stepped outside I marveled at the steady hum of the waves and rock of the ground. I stood and drew the night in letting the sounds of beach soothe all my worries and aches. I was slightly chilled as I crawled back into bed, but I drew Brent's warmth around me and fell into a deep happy sleep with the drum of the steady earth in my head.

We woke early the next morning and dragged Brent's VW Thing out of storage. We had to move an entire house of furniture to get to the vehicle at the back of the sea container.  

We rolled the Thing out of it's six year isolation into the beautiful sunshine and I was impressed. It is the definition of fun and relaxation. The tires were good and rolled happily along as Brent towed us back to the beach side where we put on the battery charger and admired it frequently throughout the day. 

The rest of the day we did some projects around the beach and didn't head home until late evening where the wind storm had destroyed both of our outdoor patio tents. One was in the pond and the other had given up and fell into itself. We did our best to salvage, but it doesn't look good for the tents.

Shortly after getting home we hurried to bed as our next adventure was starting the very next day at 6am. An early morning cruise to get new tires for my motorcycle. I am grateful for heated motorcycle gear.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your 3 AM wake-up call with Poco sounds wonderful. xo

How to Start a Hobby Farm said...

It's a cool moment while the world sleeps and you get to watch. It happens while working nights just before the sun comes up that the world seems to sigh.