Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Happy Amy Birthday

I was born on December 25 at eight in the morning. There is no doubt about the fact that I am a Christmas baby.

Everyone always asks me if I hate having my birthday on Christmas. How could I? How could I hate my birthday? A day where everyone celebrates. A day were few go to work, everyone wants to eat, drink and be merry. It's not just another passing day.

I remember as a kid being sad that a few people had forgotten my birthday one year. I was about six years old and just plain sad. My mother saw my grief and told me to get in the car.

As we drove around town she told me to look at all the Christmas lights and really see the very beauty of the holiday decorations. I grew sadder as the lights dances in my eyes and the tears welled up and rolled down my cheeks.

My mother laughed and said the following four words: "these are for you."

I was confused. I was six. What?

She continued... Honey, these are Amy Birthday lights, trees and decorations. The whole world celebrates your birthday, so don't be sad. Be happy. It is a special day and you are a special girl.

Who could argue with that logic? Plus, she is my mom and mom's aren't allowed to lie to their children. Especially their special children born on Christmas day.

Since that moment I smile when I see the lights and decorations. I think of that wonderful moment in the car with my mom and love Christmas even more.

My new husband corrects everyone about the holidays. You aren't just celebrating Christmas you're celebrating Amy Birthday.

My first christmas ornament this year came from my work partner Dave's kids. They gave me an ornament as a wedding presents. It's one of my favorite gifts partly because it's christmas, but mostly because someone put a piece of tape over the Christmas part on the box and replaced it with Amy Birthday. The box then read: Amy Birthday Ornament.

It's a new trend.

Happy Amy Birthday Everyone!

1 comment:

lisa said...

Spoiled, Spoiled, Spoiled. Happy Amy Birthday!!!! lol